Initial Certificates Set to Become Professional Educator Licenses


All Initial Certificates will be replaced by 5-year Professional Educator Licenses when Professional Educator Licensure is implemented in Illinois which is anticipated in June 30, 2013.


Determine your current situation and act:


Initial certificate holders who have currently have four or more years of teaching experience need to apply for a Standard Certificate immediately.


Initial certificate holders who have certificates expiring on June 30, 2013, can either:

  • Renew the initial certificate between April 1 and June 28, 2013 (fee $41.75/4 years)
  • Or wait until June 30 or later, and renew the new license for five years (fee $51.75)


Initial certificate holders achieving four years of teaching experience during the 2012-13 school year should not apply to move from Initial Certificate to Standard Certificate. All teachers’ certificates, regardless of level, will be exchanged for a Professional Educator License (PEL). There will be no levels such as initial, standard or master in the new system. As always, all licenses need to be registered to be valid.


For individuals holding Initial Certificates when Licensure is implemented:

  • Your teaching license renewal year will remain the same as  the Initial Certificate renewal date.
  • Future license renewal requirements will be enacted during the Spring 2013 Legislative Session.


Advice for Initial Certificate Holders: 

  • Keep every piece of evidence of completion of professional development activities you have completed. Do not enter professional development activities in ECS (Educator Certification System) unless you renew your certificate before June 30, 2013. The professional development information in ECS will not be transferred to ELIS (Educator License Information System).
  • If there is a delay in implementation of Teacher Licensure beyond June 30, 2013, and you are completing your fourth year of teaching during 2012-13 school year, you must be sure you have a Standard Teaching Certificate or Professional Educator License before school starts in July or August 2013, and that the certificate or license is registered in the ROE/ISC where you are teaching.




Keep your email address, address, and phone number up-to-date in ECS: My Profile, personal Settings; for Email: My profile, Account Settings



For further information, contact Barb Keil at 217.893.3219 or




Last Updated: April 17, 2013